Jul 29, 2009

(un-)Socialized Medicine

My dentist ditched me!!
Yesterday, I had a 4pm appointment. It was only my 3-rd appointment with this dentist - they've signed me as a patient just a week ago.
I left work 20 minutes before the appointment - the drive takes only 15min. - I drive this route every day - the clinic is right next door to my home. Traffic was horrible - there were couple of accidents, police cars, trying to get through slowed the traffic even more. Long story - short, I was 10 minutes late for my appointment.
Do you remember that Seinfeld episode where the doctor's receptionist was annoyingly cheerful and clicked with her tongue after each sentence? Minus the tongue click, that was exactly how the receptionist looked like, when she told me that "You were the last appointment and they don't wait more than 10 minutes for their last appointment." The problem is that they did not wait 10 minutes. I was 10 minutes late but "they" were already out of sight. If "they" have waited 10 minutes I wouldn't have missed them.
I couldn't call from my car - everyone around me was on their toes because of the accidents, the police cars, and the hectic traffic, so I couldn't get distracted digging trough my pockets for the number, the cellphone, etc.
So let's review what all that means:
1. The dentist's work time is Monday-Friday 9-5. This means that I have to miss work if I want to get an appointment. The dentist won't get out of his way to accommodate my needs. And if I'm few minutes late, even though its the end of the day and he has no other appointments after me, he can just ditch me, rendering my taking time off from work and intensely hectic drive to get there in time absolutely pointless. Paying good money for his services did not seem to matter. Apparently they didn't particularly need my business at this time. Let's hope this is a sign that the recession is over.
2. Wasn't that supposed to happen if we had the "government ran socialized" health care? Well, I have a message for the ones who insist what we have now is good and worth paying good money: Just because it's not ran by the government it does not make it good. This dentist self-righteously ignored my expense of time and money from missed time at work, and my need of care. Ironically, not big government but my dentist got between me and my dentist. If not even a recession can make him more cooperative, what does that say about the efficiency of the current system. I ended up missing work and risking my life driving as fast as I can trough heavy traffic just to get ignored and belittled by my employee, the dentist.
3. In this situation I can only do 1 of 3 things:
A. Swallow my self-esteem and call back to schedule another appointment with the same dentist;
B. Get a different dentist, even though dentist shopping annoys the crap out of me;
C. Quit going to the dentist, which I am not comfortable doing.

A, B or C - My only real choices appear to be humiliation, irritation, or tooth decay.

So my question is: How government health care could possibly make this worst if already is what the opponents so passionately warn it will become?

My personal experience is that I'm already getting crapy service and the only difference between what we have now and a centralized health care system is the price tag. Well, if it's going to suck anyway, I'd rather pay less.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?